July 4, 2014
Oslo
I am approaching my last week here in Oslo and I have hardly written about more than my first week here. This is in part due to all the things that happen and how consistently interesting things are, but also because I can just get downright garrulous at times. Consequently, I will be zooming forward a bit.
Independence and national pride are an ever present theme here. This is partly due to the fact that the study of Norwegian art is very often a study of Norway's struggle for independence and their efforts to forge a strong national identity. However, it is especially strong this year since it is the bicentennial of Norway's constitution. In 1814 Norway ended their subservient relationship with Denmark and became the third country to adopt a constitution after the USA and France. A good many of the museums that I have been frequenting have devoted some gallery space to the celebration of these events.
These ideas are given even more life by the Independence Day party that Oslo hosted for Americans on June 29th in Frogner Park. I had forgotten which day it was and I just happened to be in Frogner Park documenting the sculptures when I was gently reminded by the American rock band that started jamming to the entire park. Going over to investigate I found a little slice of America complete with hot dogs, muscle cars, and a Coldplay cover band. Some of the Norwegian security guards even fitted themselves out with cowboy hats and sheriff badges. I suppose they thought this was the American equivalent of a bunad. In the end, they might be right.
Of course just a few days later the Canadian population here at the school had their own national holiday on July 1st. They took it very seriously and had a lively celebration and sang O Canada very enthusiastically from the (literal) rooftops all the day long. They were very happy and shared many interesting anecdotes of what it is like to live in Canada for which I thank them. So when the American Independence Day did arrive it was not without some festive precedent.
So what is it like to be an American abroad on Independence Day? Though I had originally written out some theories on the importance of holidays and their function in society; I don't think that's the right approach to answer the question. Instead I will simply say that because of the celebratory traditions that I grew up with and because I believe in the importance of holidays I missed being a participant this year. Being abroad was less significant than being away from those with whom I would normally celebrate: my family.
No comments:
Post a Comment